If you're scrapbooking on a budget, here's a few tips off the top of my head:
* In my mind card stock and patterned paper is one of the most cost effective resources for backgrounds and that can be cut/ altered to make mini embellishments. e.g. cutting around the patterns/ making strips/ punching shapes etc
* I have many stamp pads (as my background is in stamping) but the one I turn to again and again is Versa 'pinecone' (brown). Find a colour or few that you will use lots.
* Everyone has a button jar!
* Cut the paper from in behind photos etc to reuse on another layout.
* I find brads and ribbon go a long way.
* Stamps and punches can be used again and again and again
Leave a cost saving tip if you have time :)